Friday 6 December 2013

Last Post!

Since we have started this course I can say that my research topic hasn't changed per se, however, a number of logistical questions have arisen in implementing my program. One, I have discovered that  a movement has recently started in Hamilton that is similar to my initial proposal, however, it is being done by private non-profits. I also discussed my idea with a professional who runs programs between libraries and museums in another city, and he brought up an interesting point that some people will assume anything free means it is of poor quality. I am not sure if it is even possible yet to run my program for free, however, I am now questioning if there should be a price tag attached to the program, and if so, what is fair.

The neighbourhood I want to work with is low-income, and I know they wouldn't associate free programing with poor quality, but it makes me wonder how this may affect other organizations wanting to become involved. Moreover, if the public sector does commit, would they give space or staff? If so can their budgets accommodate this? Will we be competing with this other initiative or programs within the city and if so what edge does mine have over theirs? If I am to implement this idea I think these questions can only be answered by spending a significant amount of time interviewing stakeholders and meeting with potential participants. Although my initial idea would be fairly large scale by physically combining services into one accessible location, for now it seems best to start small and build from there. I am adjusting the program to begin in one rec centre, library, or museum, and use a reflexive analysis to adjust as need be.

No comments:

Post a Comment