Thursday 19 September 2013

Picking a research topic.

As an extremely curious (and often easily distracted) individual, it is definitely challenging to zero in on a single research project to undertake, especially when one's imagination is allowed to run wild :) It is probably actually better (for a person like me) when certain constraints are imposed so that I am forced to narrow and focus my scope for a particular project idea. All that said, talking about research ideas is something I've always been enthusiastic about so here goes...

I come from a background in Neuroscience and Psychology and I've been fascinated by simulations/ computational models of brain function (vision, memory, sensorimotor) and imaging studies (fMRI) for a long time now. I'm also a huge film buff and to obtain real-time brain activity data from an audience as they watch a film would be amazing. To study how a cross-section of people of different ages and backgrounds respond to various scenes/visual cues at the level of brain processes (I believe pilot audiences may be monitored but not in this vein) would be fascinating.

I also have a huge interest in social networks and their effect on identity. By this I mean how people portray themselves online (deceit feels a strong word in this context) and how, when and why their online personalities differ from their real selves. Still need flesh out what kind of lens I would want to probe at this through.

Also interested in online education (MOOCs) and how the skills/modules taught on these platforms are perceived by employers and might affect hiring practices.

OK I think that's plenty for this week. Looking forward to reading other posts and comments.

1 comment:

  1. My background is in psychology as well. I think there are so many amazing ways that neuroscience can be used for understanding information seeking behaviour and, actually, I think a lot of neural imaging is going on in this area already. I wonder what are neural imaging studies could be done within the context of information studies.

    ReplyDelete