Wednesday 18 September 2013

Research Interests

Hi Everyone,
I apologize for the delay in posting. I am a late addition to this blog (I switched sections in the course and then our email was down over the long weekend and I did not have access to my invitation). I had already written these posts for Dr.Galey and will be uploading them for the specific week. Here is my week 2 entry:

After reading the first chapter of Luker’s text and putting my thoughts to paper, I have brainstormed a number of potential research questions which build on my past work experiences. As an artist with a background in recreational programming, I am interested in how we can combine cultural and recreational organizations with information science and education. From my time working in these organizations, I have seen first hand the role they play in improving communities and fostering a sense of identity for their respective neighborhoods. While working as a parks programmer in a lower income neighbourhood, almost all of the parents and children I spoke to regularly used services at their local library and recreation centre. According to one mother, the libraries and recreation centers offered affordable (sometimes even free) programs which improved the education and fitness levels of her children. She stated that these services were important for overall well being, and benefited her children as alternative venues for learning outside of the school system.

Over the course of two years, I began to learn that many parents wanted their children to be enrolled in programs and gain skills in multiple literacies but often could not afford to do so. Another issue I observed, was that when programs were available, they were often scattered throughout the city and transportation became an issue. As a public service, I believe that cultural and knowledge centers provide useful and much needed services. In particular, I am interested in how they can affect wellness and improve the socio-economic status of community members. I believe that their value lies in their ability to facilitate community development at the grassroots level.

My question now, is what are the benefits of combining these resources and centralizing facilities? How can these services play off of once another and what advantage does this pose to their stakeholders? What I envision is a holistic approach to community wellness which links education, information, culture, and fitness. I am interested in how libraries program improve communities and how they can serve as a model for other organizations. Although this is only a starting point, I hope that by researching this topic I can discover and evaluate pilot programs which could be used in my own community.

No comments:

Post a Comment