Wednesday 9 October 2013

Ethics in Research

After considering our lecture topic on research ethics I have attempted to apply ethical considerations to my research topic. I completed the risk management diagram as was presented in lecture (ranking risk/damage to participants and their likelihood to inflict any sort of stress or trauma on a 1-5 scale) and have found my research project to be on the lower end of the spectrum. My research does not involve observing human participants but rather the functions of public services. Any sort of human involvement would be in an advisory role as potential patrons of a cultural center.

If I were to conduct interviews, I am not dealing with a sensitive topic or information that revealing as such may inflict any sort of emotional or mental trauma on participants. Surveys would ask what services would patrons like to see at a proposed cultural center. Do they feel current services are adequate? Where would they like to see change or improvement? I would also evaluate preexisting networks of organizations, and separate/private programs which are intended towards community development. I would ask how they feel about a possible network of organizations working together.

One issue I could see arising would be groups with difficult histories or conflict with other demographics not wanting to participate or share services. However, at this point in my research, this would be more of an overview to see whether or not a demand exists and propose potential pilot projects.
Consequences of this sort of research is that local initiatives may feel threatened by the prospect of unifying services. I imagine some may feel that joining an umbrella organization may mean they no longer have autonomy over their program or may no longer be able to meet their mandate. Funding is also an issue and if it were to come from the government some organizations may shy away or think they will be pigeonholed into what politicians believe is an ideal service. On the other hand, private organizations with donors or sponsors may fear losing operating funds. Overall, I would say the sort of issue that may arise with a project like this would be logistical and revolve around control of the program, its delivery, and content.

No comments:

Post a Comment