Friday 4 October 2013

Information As An Instrumental Vehicle

Information As An Instrumental Vehicle

By Cynthia Dempster

What is information?  There are many possible definitions.  Let me explore a way of looking at information.   Information is not a substance in itself.  It has a secondary nature. It depends on a process of translating and perceiving.  What does it translate and perceive?   It can process sensual or intellectual matter...among other things.  What are the other things?  Um...I need a cup of coffee.   Please be advised that this is not a complete definition.  The following word completes my definition:   etcetera. 

 My study concerns the effect of art and storytelling on music students.  Within an information studies context,  I am interested in how art and storytelling change the way students recognize and perceive the information on the music manuscript and how this influences their performance of music(if it does).  If I was conducting this study outside of an information context, the nature and content of the study would be the same.  However, I would word my intentions more simply.  I would propose to study how art and storytelling influence the way students see and perform music.    No matters what words I used, information would be an instrumental vehicle.  

No comments:

Post a Comment