Thursday 3 October 2013

Research in an iSchool / Information Context

I’m interested in researching possible personal narratives or oral histories about specific Toronto landmarks, and to explore where and how these types of individual histories can fit into contemporary libraries and archives.  I think that it will be interesting to first explore the current theoretical discussions surrounding what comprises a ‘legitimate’ or ‘accurate’ history, as well as the opposing theories that subvert this dominant narrative, in order to suggest a potential space or gap into which these personal histories could fit.  And also to explore the intersection of location and memory, in terms of how one informs the other.  I would also like to develop some sort of useful product or tool as the result of this research project.  I’m thinking that it could be a sort of online interactive map of Toronto, where users would click on a certain landmarks and either listen to an audio clip or watch some video footage of the person telling a story or describing their memories about that particular location.  This would allow the project to become useful as a teaching and/or research device for people interested in municipal history. 

Pursuing this research in an iSchool context is beneficial in a number of ways.  In the first few weeks of class, I’ve already learned a vast amount about the particular issues that are pertinent to libraries and archives today, which will allow me to position this project within the overall framework of these discussions.  It will also provide me with a number of resources that I wouldn’t have access to otherwise, such as the librarians in the Inforum and the professors at the iSchool, both of whom are already proving to be remarkable “nodal points,” as Luker (2008) suggests.


In terms of approaching this topic from an “information” perspective, my time at the iSchool has demonstrated to me how broad this perspective actually is, and how it can be applied or moulded to fit nearly any topic.   One of my biggest areas of interest is in exploring the ways in which information is transmitted.  In an age of ever-multiplying methods of digital information transmission, I’m eager to figure out ways of using these methods to help preserve and promote more traditional modes of transmission.  I’m pursuing both the LIS and the ARM streams in the iSchool, but so far in this semester I’ve only taken library-related courses.  This project is certainly related to discussions about archives as well, but as I haven’t taken any of those courses, it will require a little extra reading on my part to discern where this sort of endeavour would fit in. 

References: 

Luker, Kristin. (2008). Salsa Dancing into the Social Sciences: Research in an Age of Info-Glut. USA: Harvard First University Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment