Friday 11 October 2013

The trick to reading guidelines


One topic that was discussed in class on Wednesday that I found surprising was the necessity to keep recorded interviews private because people can be identified by their voices. This necessity is relevant to my research project because I intend to perform semi-structured interviews. Now that I know recorded interviews must be securely held, quickly transcribe, then immediately destroyed, I understand why these steps must be followed and I think these steps would be fairly easy to follow. What worries me about this new discovery is that I did not think of it in the first place, so I am worried that there are other procedures that I may not know about. The obvious response to this worry is to read the guidelines on how to conduct research with human subjects to become familiar with all of these procedures but, frankly, my eyes glaze over when I try to read documents like those guidelines. So, I'm wondering, does anyone have any tricks for readings documents like that? I think almost any endeavour can be fun, if you try hard to make it that way or if you know someone has a few tricks up her sleeve.  

No comments:

Post a Comment