Friday 25 October 2013

Out in left field

The “field” in my research will be in two settings: online and in private dwellings.

As I am investigating online communities, I will need to observe behaviours in an online space.  If I were to take an ethnographic approach, I could embed myself in a particular community (or two) to observe it from within for a period of time.

As my research question concerns spending and economy (to what extent do online communities displace capital activity?), an individual approach is also necessary; what is the measurable impact to persons within the online community?  Using Jenna Hartel’s gourmet cooking study as a model, the field in this case could be an individual’s home living space.  Household engagement in hobbies like gardening and cooking could be observed, described, and considered as cases of the larger study.


Hartel, J. (2010). Managing documents at home for serious leisure: A case study of the hobby of gourmet cooking. Journal of Documentation, 66(6), 847-874.

No comments:

Post a Comment