Monday 21 October 2013

Week 7 Question

In response to this weeks question I think the fieldwork of information research can mean anything. Information exists in numerous forms and media...art, oral histories, internet traffic, habits, and cultural practices, etc. All of these are different forms of information and it is up to us as researchers to interpret and apply this within our field. Personally, I am skeptical of claims made without some sort of connection to the world outside of academia. I think this boils down to a theory vs practice debate. The only reason I say this is because of my past work experience…we spent numerous hours in staff training with sociologists and child psychologists who would suggest ideal ways to interact with children and handle situations, however, once I was set out to perform my job what previously seemed black and white became grey. Theory can be a useful guide which informs our practice whilst traversing the field, however, there can often be numerous variables which affect performance and information gathering. Perhaps the fieldwork of information becomes a curatorial decision which is dependent on the researcher and the scope of their project? I am not sure I have concrete answer here but I am open to accepting multiple forms as legitimate sources.

No comments:

Post a Comment